This course is designed to provide an overview of the accounting and financial reporting issues faced by a nonprofit housing enterprise. Accounting professionals working in this field require industry-specific information. The course also offers CPE credit. Examples of topics covered in this course:
- The accounting differences unique to each entity type, such as limited partnerships.
- Funding sources unique to the industry, such as HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credits and other programs. Funding requests from these and commercial sources are examined both in lecture format and through case study.
- Project surplus cash calculations and the loan and regulatory agreements to be considered.
- Using materials published by Strength Matters, participants also focus on financial reporting issues that arise throughout the life cycle of an affordable housing property, from predevelopment through year-15 buyouts and beyond.
The Boot Camp uses several techniques to accomplish the goals of this course, including lecture, group discussion, individual and group exercises, reading and case studies. This course is generally presented by two instructors - a CPA who specializes in the affordable housing industry and a CFO of an affordable housing enterprise. The course is offered periodically at NeighborWorks Training Institutes and on-site at Strength Matters network organizations by special arrangement.
Upcoming Boot Camps
We'll be offering our Boot Camp training virtually this summer – join our CFO and CPA leaders for weekly sessions to gain a deep grounding in the accounting and financial reporting issues faced by a nonprofit housing enterprises.
2023 Virtual Boot Camp
- Virtual Summer Session — Wednesdays from May 17-Aug. 16 (except for May 24, July 5 and July 12) at 1PM ET/10AM PT.
Download the detailed course information
- Virtual Fall Session — Wednesdays from mid-Sept.-early Dec. — details available in June.
Please email email@example.com for more information about hosting an in-person boot camp or to receive early enrollment notification for virtual offerings.